Sunday, April 24, 2011

6x1: aFORTable and fun!

When I was told to bring sheets/blankets and a pillow to sit on, I was super ready for some fort-building. I deduced that we’d be building a fort, because I remember you mentioning something about forts involved with this class, and I figured that if we needed a pillow to sit on, we’d be on the floor. So I came super ready, and man was I excited. I absolutely love building forts, just last semester my roommates and I created a pretty epic one that took up the entire living room, so I was ready to bring that skill into a new venue: a classroom.


It was even cooler, when I realized that we’d be projecting our films onto a bedsheet within our sheeted fortress. It’s a whole new atmosphere, something elementary and really fundamental about it, yet unique. And the feeling that we made the screen and the fort, made me feel more like a pioneer than a filmmaker. Because we made those things. Also, we made a great feast, which was super appreciated. (I was really excited to make my buffalo chicken dip for the class, it’s one of my show-off party foods :p )


It only heightened the experience that we all had our own personal, individual, hand-made 3-D glasses. Even though I’ve made forts before, and I’ve seen 3-D movies before, and been to potlucks before, and had my movies screened for a crowd before, this experience felt like something totally new. I felt like a little kid, and at the same time felt really experienced in film: not many students have made a 3-D film from start to finish. That’s pretty cool.


It also was another chance to be resourceful and creative, which really followed the theme of our 48-hour video race. We had few resources (few people brought sheets to work with), and had to pick something that would work effectively. It was great having access to the equipment room, and I was glad that Barrett read my mind in using a butterfly kit to get a lot of height and area for our fort. It also promoted our class to once again work as a team to accomplish a common goal, which I feel has really encouraged a bond to make us feel more like a team than a class. We had to make due with what we had, which definitely ties in with the idea of the limited resources in the 48-hour video race, and the overall concept of rough theater. This was one of my favorite classes ever, and sorely wish that UNCW offered a fort-building 101 class.

No comments:

Post a Comment